Kitchen Fire Displaces Family of Five in SeaTac New Year’s Day


The new year didn’t start so well for a SeaTac family Tuesday (Jan. 1), as a kitchen fire displaced them.

Awakened by the smell of smoke, the family discovered the kitchen in their house in the 16800 block of 37th Ave South in SeaTac (map below) was on fire.

Residents worked briefly to control the fire but ultimately were unsuccessful.

All family members were able to escape the home unharmed.

Units from SeaTac Fire, Tukwila Fire, and Kent Fire responded to the 911 call.

No firefighters were injured in the effort.

Officials say that damage to the residence is extensive – the entire home suffered smoke damage; damage caused by water and flames is limited to the kitchen only. Investigators estimate the damage to be in the neighborhood of $40,000. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Red Cross is working with the family to provide them temporary housing and other necessities including food, clothing, medications and toiletries.

“SeaTac Fire department reminds you that working Carbon Monoxide detectors save lives,” officials added.


View Larger Map


Share Your Opinion

By participating in our online comment system, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of our comment policy.

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!