LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘If passed, Prop 1 will damage the City of SeaTac…’

[EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is a Letter to the Editor, written by a Reader. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The SeaTac Blog nor its staff:]

Letter to the Editor, Seatac Blog,

Reading the list of politicians and organizations, from the ‘Yes for SeaTac’ website, who endorse Prop 1 for the City of SeaTac, I notice that most aren’t located in SeaTac.

As one of the Founders of the City of SeaTac, and a lifelong resident in the Highline area, I feel I must speak up. One of the reasons for incorporation was to have some influence on our own destiny in SeaTac.

I personally do not believe that the government should tell businesses how to manage their affairs. Prop 1 strips the rights of private enterprise to run their business the way they feel they should. The only involvement the City should have is to see that a business is legal and environmentally sound.

If passed, Prop 1 will damage the City of SeaTac to the point where new business will not locate in SeaTac. Some will leave SeaTac, and current establishments may be forced to cut employees and services, and/or layoff the very people this Proposition claims it will help.

Following are some of the reasons that will likely cause your taxes to go up and the stability of life here will be truly challenged:

• If Prop 1 passes, it calls for the City of SeaTac to monitor, administer and enforce terms of this proposition which will bring added costs to SeaTac taxpayers because the City will likely need to hire, and pay for, additional staff to handle the new policies for the 6,000 plus employees affected by Prop 1.
  • If Prop 1 passes, the conditions in the City of SeaTac will not be encouraging to new business to come here, let alone for the ones that are here already to stay. Businesses will go to neighboring jurisdictions instead, taking their tax base, job opportunities and community involvement with them.
  • If Prop 1 passes, it will severely cut into our ability to sustain the same level of service for roads, sidewalk, utilizes, human services and public safety.
  • If Prop 1 passes, who know how far away from home the young and old will have to travel to find part time jobs close to home to sustain themselves.

Believe me, the ramifications of Prop 1 will be a negative influence to the stability of every single person and business in SeaTac. The negative side of Prop 1 would take a “ream of paper” to write about.

We don’t always have to agree on everything, but on this one, we need to stick together and vote NO. I’ve spent my whole life here and I will continue to be available any time you need me.

Terry Jarvis Anderson
SeaTac, Wa.

[Have an opinion or concern you'd like to share with our Readers? Please send us your Letter to the Editor via email. Include your full name, please remain civil and, pending our review, we'll most likely publish it.]

Comments

9 Responses to “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘If passed, Prop 1 will damage the City of SeaTac…’”
  1. Ron Bensley, Jr. says:

Although I and my wife Sandra Cook-Bensley just recently moved out of the City of SeaTac, Councilmember Terry Anderson is right that Proposition 1 will cause a lot of headache, loss of jobs and loss of sales-tax revenue for residents who actually LIVE in SeaTac.

Proposition 1 will NOT improve the standard of living of SeaTac citizens. Proposition 1 it will reduce the number of jobs in the City. Proposition 1 will exacerbate the economic difficulties SeaTac faces relative to other areas of King County.

In the State of Washington, no City government has the right under our State Constitution to act as a de facto collective bargaining agent for private sector employees.

It is very questionable whether the voters within a City can enact a Proposition imposing changes in labor standards, a jurisdictional area which is pre-empted by the Washington State Legislature and the Department of Labor and Industries.

If the Prop 1 backers had the real courage of their convictions, they should have put this forward as a STATEWIDE initiative or referendum, since there is no legal authority granted to municipal governments to regulate private-sector wages, hours, working conditions and other employment standards.

For those of you who actually are voters in the City of SeaTac, do not be fooled! Vote “NO!” on this poorly-conceived and fundamentally defective initiative.

2. Kathie Brave says:

Terry is so right and there is so much more than that. Why would it be fair to only be for the airport and large hotels? So they get the $15 but the smaller businesses don’t have to pay that? Why would anyone want to work for the small businesses then?

They don’t see that the airport and hotels will start hiring people with more skills if they have to pay that kind of money. There are many people out there with way more skills and ecucation that would love to make $15 an hour. As I have said more than once, I worked all my life, I’m now on SS and would LOVE to make $15 and hour and I DO have way more education and skills than the people asking for these kinds of wages. Why do unskilled and under educated people think they even deserve these wages?

What about this no tip sharing? Who came up with that briliant idea? So that leaves out the bus boys, hostess, cooks and dishwashers even though they worked just as hard to make sure you have a good meal. Why aren’t we hearing more about this one? A terrible idea.

It will backfire on them all and eventually they will realize they did themselves a huge disservice by this initiative. They will get hour cut and laid off. Oh, and one place having to hire others who have been laid off first! Really, that is a nightmare. The hotels won’t expand and won’t build in SeaTac. This will certainly help Tukwila and Renton won’t it! Lots of land left there to build.

Rather than helping this will be nothing but a debacle for SeaTac. Businesses will move, citizens will move, this is just a huge mistake. And the citizens of SeaTac will have to pay for it.

3. Doris Cassan says:

Although, I am not totally sure what has motivated so much emphasis on tipping, I have chatted with a number of individuals who are in the business trying to understand the issue. Could find nothing unusual or unfair, so what is the beef?

I would say to those of us who patronize these businesses, JUST STOP TIPPING and allow the merchants to charge more in order to pay the higher wages.

4. Steven Field says:

Well voting day is almost here and it will be time to cast your vote on Proposition 1.
    Here is a link by the National Employment Law Project (with an article called The Cost of Low Wages at the 10 Largest Fast-Food Companies. (http://www.nelp.org/page/-/rtmw/uploads/NELP-Super-Sizing-Public-Costs-Fast-Food-Report.pdf?nocdn=1)

There is a large public cost to these low wages and those costs subsidize the profits of the large corporations.

Have a nice weekend.

• Michael T Kovacs says:

Well citizens of SeaTac this is an abrubpt change by Steven Field. We met with him to ahve a discssion about Prop 1 and he was all set to vote No. Rumor has it Mia Gregerson got in touch with him and changed his mind.

I repspect Mr. Field opinion and think his feedback on the fast foods companies taking advantage of workers does have some merit.

My opinion is that the fast food comment is related to the Seattle protests for $15.00/hour, not SeaTac insane proposition. My input is to we all get another type of vote in America. Its vote with your dollars. Here is my voting take on fast food with my own bread-dollars-green backs. I dont eat at these establishments that are in the top 10. They source process food that is garbage to our health and well being. If we would find healthier fast food alternatives then these top 10 would disappear like the dinosaurs. I am primarilay vegetarian to vegan with my diet.

To bring the top 10 fast food into proposition 1 is not what this is all about 100%. Vote No on Prop. 1.

5. Whats the big deal? says:

This proposition basically only effects multi-million dollar corporations like airlines & hotels chains.

These big corporations are making millions in profits & the CEO’s are already getting paid handsomely.

What’s the big deal to kick a couple bucks down to the little folks doing the REAL work?

The small businesses in the airport will be fine, because they have a monopoly on the customers stuck in the airport, so they can charge what they like, raising prices to pay their employees the new higher wage.

Other businesses in SeaTac, outside of the airport, don’t have to pay $15 so why do they even care about the law?

There are always gonna be people who don’t get hired at the airport who still need a job, so they will have to take less money.

The rich corporations will be a little less rich – WHO CARES!

CALM DOWN FOLKS.

• Michael T Kovacs says:

False statement by “Whats the big deal”. Its does not apply equally to all workers in SeaTac. Small business in SeaTac will be demolished with closures and out of work people becasue then they will be forced to either pay $15.00/hour or go out of business. The intiative will create wage demands. Do you want “Whats the big deal” wokring at your business without critical thinking skills? Cannot add 1 + 1 = 2.

6. Rodney says:

People are blind if they think businesses are going to move out of Seatac. The only thing that will happen is millionaire parking facility owners will have to pay their employees more. I know it will be hard for them to drive last years Ferrari instead of the brand new one, but somehow they will learn to manage.

….as for the the argument over busboys etc. no longer being tipped: The only restaurants that would be affected by this law would be those attached to hotels. I am pretty sure the busboys wouldn’t be complaining to much about losing out on shared tips when their hourly wage would be increased substantially already.

• Janice Taylor says:

I do love how so many of the Prop 1 supporters think it will only impact “millionaire parking lot facility owner” and “multi-million dollar corporations”. It shows how vastly ignorant people who never have owned a business are about business ownership. First, business owners and their investors (if they have them) are the ones who pony up the money to get the business started. They are the ones who put their assets and personal guarantee on to bank loans. (Even if you are a corporation, most banks and vendors want a personal guarantee.) They are the ones who eat, breathe and sleep that business, handling the BS so the employees can have jobs. They work during weekends and vacation times. They rarely get sick, and certainly don’t whine over minor injuries.
      Rodney, your Ferrari remark is especially limp. I had an entitled-minded employee once use that rationale on me. He’d been hired at above minimum wage to basically move stuff. We did 90 day reviews. After one week, ONE WEEK, he informed me I OWED him a “livable wage”. He knew our policies when he was hired, and any one can look good for a week. Then he told me he KNEW my husband and I were pulling a tidy sum off the business because, “(Expletive), your husband drives a Mercedes.” (Yea, 10-year old car bought used. Oh, and we had every free penny rolled up because we had to relocate.) After a few more insults towards me, he had the gumption to tell me he had no hard feelings.
      Rodney, business is NOT a democracy. If you want to put your money into a business, then you will have some say. You can even buy stock and have a voice at shareholder meetings. Most business is an autocracy or oligarchy, and the rules are made by the owners. Don’t like the rules? Then invest your time to work with bosses and owners to find agreeable solutions. Don’t just stick your hand out and demand. Just who do you think you are?