The Cactus Speaks: Ethics? What Ethics?

[EDITOR'S NOTE: This column by Earl Gipson is a view of SeaTac city government. It does not necessarily reflect the views of The SeaTac Blog nor its staff. We are seeking additional regular columnists to reflect opinions and views of SeaTac residents. Those interested can e-mail us at editor@seatacblog.com.]

by Earl Gipson

Anyone related to our Council Members? If so the SeaTac City Council may have a committee appointment just waiting for you to apply. You go to the head of the line and will be recommended by campaign law violators to boot. Here’s how our SeaTac Council meeting went Tuesday.

In a “we don’t need no stinking Code of Ethics” frenzy Deborah Anderson, wife of Deputy Mayor Tony Anderson, was appointed as an “alternate” to the Human Services Advisory Committee which advises the Council on where to spend 1.5 percent of our General Fund. Tony Anderson surprisingly recused himself from voting on her appointment (how gracious of him) and Council Member Fernald voted no after delivering a lecture on why its not a good idea, nepotism and all that. Thanks Ms. Fernald but the yes votes were already in the bag and believe it or not SeaTac has no Code of Ethics.

After reading Ms. Anderson’s application, she was recommended by un-elected Mayor Gregerson and Colleen Brandt-Schluter (Human Services Manager). Both these Public Servants were fined by the PDC (Public Disclosure Commission) for using SeaTac’s resources in the 2009 election in violation of RCW (it took the PDC 3 years afterwards to do so).  Feeling all warm and fuzzy yet?

The interviewer for the Human Services Committee, Council Member Bush, was asked by Council Member Terry Anderson if there were other applicants and his brain fell out. He could not recall. Well I can. At least 2 others.

How about some goods news? The City’s new waste hauler (starting in June), Recology/Cleanscapes has its routes laid out, new recycle facility almost ready (I want a tour), and translators ready to go for customer service. Notification/info cards also ready to go. Looks good for a smooth transition per the presentation at the Council Meeting.

Now that I am talking trash lets review some Public Comment at the Council Meeting.  Two separate parties in Public Comment informed the Council of ongoing (we are talking YEARS) problems with Code violations and trash build up on their neighboring properties. One even had satellite photos. Both parties did not blame our solitary Code Compliance Officer but did blame the Council for its lack of leadership/policies for repeat offenders and the continuing property devaluation that comes with it (as if we needed more of that).

Finally, and I’m not sure this is a good thing but our new jail seems to be full. An update from our SCORE committee member stated since we are getting inmates from around the region and the bonds may be paid off sooner. Who says that crime doesn’t pay?

Comments

13 Responses to “The Cactus Speaks: Ethics? What Ethics?”
  1. Vicki Lockwood says:

Excellent recap of the most recent Council Meeting, Earl. I agree with you. Here’s the definitions for “nepotism” and “ethic” from the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Perhaps our Council needs a dictionary! You decide:

Nepotism: the unfair practice by a powerful person of giving jobs and other favors to relatives : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship

There’s even a definition for children and one for English language learners, so the concept of nepotism seems rather simple and necessary for integration into our society.

Ethic: rules of behavior based on ideas about what is morally good and bad : the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group

There is no definition for children but there is for English language learners, so one could conclude that ethic is a more complicated concept requiring some maturity to understand, but again it is a necessary concept for integration into our society.

Think the majority of our Council members needs a dictionary? I do! CM Fernald seems to be the only member with a dictionary and a moral compass.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 6

2. Kathie Brave says:

Just gets better all the time. I applied for 3 committees hoping to get an interview for 1. Didn’t hear for several months and after finding out that no one applied for the tree board I was a bit surprised. I did!!! After several people making noise to city hall I finally have an appointment for an interview the library board. Since I was a librarian at one time in my life this should be a given but we shall see. I have quit coming to council meetings as I felt I was beating my head against a brick wall (you can’t fight city hall, expecially this one). I felt that perhaps being on a committee I might be able to do something good.
    Earl and Vicki, keep up the good work. Pam, keep on fighting you are one of the few good ones!

• Hmm says:

Kathie, maybe you need to stop being so bitter about everything. I surely wouldnt want to be around some one so negative all the time. Dont assume you will get it based on your past qualifications.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 9

3. To {Hmm} what position do hold in the city. have the guts to identify yourself

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 5

• Hmm says:

Chuck, I dont live in the city. Nor would I with $15 an hour and bitter people. I just get on here to see where the hatred is. There are a few that make alot of noise for the city and I think its a hoot. Have a wonderful day.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 7

4. Michael T Kovacs says:

Dear Citizens of SeaTac,

Now is your time to move against the incestious relationships in the City of SeaTac and The Port of Seattle.

Unelected Deputy Mayor works for the Port of Seattle as a cop. He also sites on the board of the kent Frei District which is your new fire separtment service hijacked by the incestious fire fighters union. Unelected Mayor of SeaTac Mia Gregerson has had some type of “fix” to dish out to Unelected Deputy Mayor Tony Anderson. Does Deborah Anderson his wife know about his “fix” need? See for the email trail between Anderson and Gregerson for details http://www.takeseatacback.org How ethical is Colleen Brandt-Schulter (SeaTac city employee) and Mia Gregerson? See http://www.seataccoverup.com

The incest must stop now! Citizens need to contact The Port of Seattle Ethics hotline and shut down Tony Anderson. You must call! I have done all the heavey lifting to procure the emails on Anderson and Gregerson from the Port of Seattle with more to come.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 7

5. No Name says:

Provide proof or you just sound like a bunch of raving lunatics.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 7

6. Jim Thomson says:

The Seatac Blog has become like the crash on the freeway, it slows everyone down and just creates frustration and aggravation. Like the crash on the freeway, less and less people get distracted and start moving by it at faster rate without even paying attention. Like many negative things in life, crisis pass with a diminishing impact on our lives. When we choose to attack people in the community that many people respect without merit function or purpose we lose our credibility. In my opinion Deb Anderson is someone who cares about the community we live in and would be an asset in that position. She is active in the community is visible and does play well with other children. Which means she will be effective and functioning in a committee without causing conflict by excessive dialogue. What is being ignored here is cronyism which is harder to track and more damaging. After all isn’t political capital more powerful than money. There is no question that people posting on this blog care about our community, but there ability to be noticed or create change is rapidly being pushed to the side by attacking people that many people respect. I would like to suggest changing the focus of this rather negative log to a positive open forum on creating change through discussions of features and benefits for those changes. If your arguments are compelling enough and positive enough that those changes will be great for the community I think we’ll see more action better dialogue and better ability to create the changes that we need. I agree with neural that a code of ethics for SeaTac city Council or the city of SeaTac plural would be a good and open way to show the public the city government can be trusted and wants to be trusted. What I do not agree with is the personal attacks and lack of purpose and function to show solutions and reasons why we should do those changes. We need to build we need to communicate a positive environment that gets people to the voter booths and votes and believe they can make a different. If you take to help away from them pretty soon no one care and no one votes and nothing gets done.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 7

• Michael T Kovacs says:

Mr. Gipson’s report merely stated public record “creatively” granted and only
      those wishing to suppress those records would call it a personal attack.

I wonder if Nero was fiddling “Kum Bah Yah” while Rome burned?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 4

7. Jim Thomson says:

Sorry my dialogue software did get Earl it came out neural” and I did not catch it before posting my commitments. So lets see how many dwell on my mistakes rather than the content for the purpose and function of my remarks.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 6

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!