Schoolgirls’ fear spurred by teacher’s talk about Trump resolved a year ago

By Jack Mayne

Two young schoolgirls told the SeaTac City Council on Tuesday night of the fear generated amongst their music classmates when a teacher told them that new President Donald Trump would want immigrants to leave the U.S. and “go to their own island or country” (see video above).

Safaa Sedite brought the two young girls to the SeaTac City Council session to “tell their own stories in their own words” about a third grade music teacher’s comments on the ideas of the new American president.

Catherine Carbone Rogers, the Highline School District’s chief communications officer, said Wednesday the matter was considered resolved a year ago, shortly after the issue arose.

Huddling in fear
One of the young girls, Osafina, said that last year she and her “best friend” were in a third grade music class last year when the teacher started to talk about Donald Trump.

“Later she started to scare us and I don’t think she was trying to, but she actually really did. Our classmates started huddling up together thinking they were going to get deported or never see each other again.”

Many of the students began crying while huddling together in fear, she said.

“When I think about it, I get very nervous and always very worried and scared for my friends and family. America is already beautiful and great because of all the beautiful differences and cultures. I think it is very important that everybody should celebrate and support each other no matter what the color of their skin is, or culture, religion or clothes.

“After that day, I went home worried about my friends and family. I think it is very important that everybody is love, safe, feels safe and feel important,” the child told the Council.

Only Americans here
Her friend Danip said the early grades in school were “all wonderful, except third grade” when the teacher began talking about “a new president” Donald Trump.

She “told us only Americans could be in America and everyone would have to go their own island or country.”

“This made everyone in my class so sad and scared that they gathered up in groups of friends thinking it was going to be the last time they were going to see each other. Our music teacher was speaking in a loud, aggressive voice, which made us even more scared and worried. I started to cry and so did everyone else.

“My parents left Iraq to be somewhere safer,” Danip said. “I was born in this country. I worried about my family and classmates. I went home and asked my mom if we were going to be ok and safe. My mom said yes because we were citizens.”

Regular SeaTac Council commenter and SeaTac Blog columnist Earl Gipson said after the girls spoke that we “don’t need teachers teaching the political agenda, we need them to teach in reading, writing and arithmetic so you can function in this society.”

Resolved long ago
Highline Public Schools public affairs officer Catherine Carbone Rogers says the matter was addressed and solved long ago.

“Our teachers are expected to ‘refrain from promoting their biases’ in discussions with students according to Procedure 2331P, and we hold staff accountable to that standard,” Rogers said after The SeaTac Blog asked for outcomes.

“The situation in question happened last year in March or April,” Rogers said. “The teacher was responding to questions students asked about the presidential candidates. The girls reported to their parents that something had been said that was upsetting to them.

“One of the girls’ parents brought this to the principal’s attention at that time,” said Rogers.

“The principal investigated and took appropriate action with the teacher,” she said. “The principal followed up with both girls’ parents today, and both said they considered the matter resolved a year ago.”

Comments

13 Responses to “Schoolgirls’ fear spurred by teacher’s talk about Trump resolved a year ago”
  1. YEEZUS2024 says:

Sounds like these kids were coached personally by Hillary Clinton to help make her open border policy a reality.

2. seatac says:

it’s campaign season and this was an orchestrated setup to promote the progressive agenda. watch barry ladenburg make a run for council again.

3. chuck darielli says:

How low will an ex council member stoop to regain their seat. According to the Highline Spoke person this issue was taken care of Last Year. What a coincidence Barry Ladenburg who is rarely seen since not making it through the primaries of the last election just happened to be there to speak on the subject. Again a SUBJECT that was CLOSED LAST YEAR! What might we ask is he promising these people or is he just being the Talking Head for Mia Gregerson again. I guess it’s an election year.LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

4. Melissa says:

This incident happened a year ago. These people were at Burien’s council meeting doing the same thing last month. The incident was resolved last year. They should be embarrassed for dredging this up over and over using small children as their pawns! Once again, shame on you Barry! And shame on the two or three others who were involved in this!!

5. Audrey says:

Using kids to bring up something that was already handled a year ago gets dirty. Why would you want these young ladies to re live this? How were the parents coersed into letting their kids talk? Mr Gipson hit the nail on the head, teachers are there to educate and not their own political agenda. Great job on parading these kids around and continuing the hate.

6. Facts, please says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 21

• Pam Fernald says:

It’s probably not uncommon for people to say, “Something about this doesn’t make sense” to items read on a blog…

I’m not Jack, but below I am posting the text of the email received by theSeaTac council from Catherine Carbone Rogers. ( I’ve seen Ms. Carbone Rogers post on the blog before, so she can verify that this is indeed what she reported back if she sees this post.
      “I am following up to let you know what I learned today about the situation brought to the SeaTac City Council last night.

The situation in question happened last year in March or April. The teacher was responding to questions students asked about the presidential candidates. The girls reported to their parents that something had been said that was upsetting to them. One of the girls’ parents brought this to the principal’s attention at that time. The principal investigated and took appropriate action with the teacher.

Please be assured that our teachers are expected to “refrain from promoting their biases” in discussions with students according to Procedure 2331P, and we hold staff accountable to that standard.”

Catherine Carbone Rogers

Chief Communications Officer

206-631-3002 (office)

206-683-9198 (cell)

7. Joe Van says:

This issue was taken care of last year when it was brought up to the administration. I will be following up with these young ladies to ensure that they have processed through this and that they are ok. Thank you

8. Fuzz says:

It was remarked “Something about this just doesn’t make sense…” and I agree.
    The first Dana opens her remarks that this occurred last year when they were both in 3rd grade – then the second Dana mentioned in her comments that the discussion was about a new president. The comments were read from printed notes so I don’t think it could have been a slip in timing so it just doesn’t seem right to me.

I have no interest dragging the children into any additional Q&A but I am interested in knowing who the person was that was present with the children, and ask that she comment here helping to clarify if this is an ongoing issue (with facts), or if this was an isolated instance that was previously resolved last year to the satisfaction of all parties involved. If the later – then help us understand exactly what the intentions were for bringing this up again? What is the motivation and what does she expect to result from this?

9. Melissa says:

The discussion of who voted for who should be kept at home. My kids school constantly hearing opinions about our politicians not facts. This happens daily.

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!