SEATAC BLOG VOTERS’ GUIDE: Q&As with Council Candidates for Pos. #4

On July 6, 2017, we emailed out a list of 10 Questions to all candidates running for SeaTac City Council in the Primary election, which has an Aug. 1 voting deadline.

Of the three candidates for Position #4, two responded (Shaunie Wheeler did not), and here are their answers – published exactly as they sent them – and listed in alphabetical order using their photos from the King County Elections website:

CLYDE “FUZZ” HILL

1. How long have you lived in SeaTac and why did you decide to live here?
I moved to SeaTac in 2008. I chose SeaTac due to higher purchasing power and lower annual real estate taxes. SeaTac streets are well maintained streets and boast a bounty of beautiful parks!

2. What do you expect to gain personally from serving in a Council position?
I have been an active volunteer within the communities I have lived in. Charitable acts of service had also been an integral part in raising my two daughters in teaching them the value and rewards of giving back to the community. My children are now fully grown and I’m seeking additional opportunity to contribute to my city. I am very pleased with what the new council majority has accomplished in just the past 18 months and I’m eager to join in with them to continue making SeaTac a best place to live!

3. What relevant leadership and business experience would you bring to the Council that will help in your decision-making process?
I have worked in the private sector as a Technical Analyst and product owner for over twenty years. My role has been to support my stakeholders which requires active listening, identifying and analyzing needs, collaborating and working cooperatively to deliver quality solutions. Being an effective councilmember requires these same capabilities and my extensive experience gives me an advantage.

4. What SeaTac ordinances would you like implemented or removed from the books and why?
I originally had reservations over the Proposition 1 ‘Good Jobs Initiative’ supporting the minimum wage of $15 per hour. I feared that the people it was intended for, entry level workers, would be hurt more than helped by this law. Higher wages might incent employers to pass over inexperienced workers to fill job openings. Fortunately, a robust economy and airport growth has kept demand for workers high and my fears have not yet been substantiated.

5. Since SeaTac is the home of a fast-growing airport, do you think the Port of Seattle should increase financial assistance and support to SeaTac citizens?
Sea-Tac Airport has a significant impact on the quality of life in the City of SeaTac. The Port benefits our community through employment opportunities within the airport boundaries and creating additional airport related services outside their facilities. However, the airport also has a significant impact on our environment with aircraft noise and pollutants; added surface traffic on our streets; and increased load on city maintenance, emergency and protective services supporting the thousands of guests staying or visiting our city. The new council majority has recently formed an Airport Advisory Committee consisting of Council, Community and Business members to identify issues and formulate mitigating solutions. They are achieving success through cooperation with neighboring communities and representative from the Port of Seattle. As an elected council member, I would wholly support continuing these efforts to achieve more equitable relations with the Port.

6. Do you consider traffic and parking a problem for SeaTac residents, and what is your proposed solution?
There are known parking problems in the 32nd- 34th avenue neighborhoods adjacent to the airport. The council is contracting professional advisors to help identify solutions to mitigate these issues. If other parking concerns exist, I would encourage citizens to identify these issues, bring forth any ideas and work collectively to solve these problems.

7. What conditions would you propose to better handle the large number of people who come through the city to the airport using facilities SeaTac taxpayers paid for?
The new council majority has recently formed an Airport Advisory Committee consisting of Council, Community and Business members to identify issues and formulate mitigating solutions. These are the types of issues this team is working collectively to establish baselines and formulate equitable solutions. As an elected council member, I would wholly support these continuing efforts.

8. Would your regular job employer expect you to follow their instructions on city legislation, even when your knowledge and experience shows that might not be the best decision?
The company I work for including my immediate leadership team wholly support and encourage my interest in seeking a position in the public service arena. T-Mobile has strict policies regarding ethics, in fact has been named a ‘World’s Most Ethical Company” nine years in a row! I do not anticipate or foresee any interference or conflicts between my corporate and public responsibilities.

9. Is the city police department doing a good job in your view or are changes needed? Would you be willing to vote for additional tax income to pay for added members of the police officers that are contracted by the city from the King County Sheriff’s Office?
I have witnessed an increase in operational transparency through the regular interval council presentations. Chief Mulligan is communicating direct with the public via email on a regular basis and in special circumstances when warranted. By way of scrutinized spending and eliciting competitive bidding for contract renewals, the current council has recovered enough funds to consider hiring additional officers without raising taxes. I am delighted with this result. An additional consideration – since our ~22,000 residents reasonably expect to providing funding protective services for our residents, however the demand on these services naturally extend to the total number of visitors to our city (plus or minus an average of an additional 70,000 individuals due to airport related business). I would encourage the Airport Committee to seek equitable agreements with the Port of Seattle to help fund these additional service needs before asking our residents to shoulder more burden.

10. Do you consider the current city staff is effectively managing the city and guiding the needed changes and fixes to city problems?
The City of SeaTac has gone from projected deficit spending to successfully achieving a net positive budget with 6 months of reserve or “rainy day” funds in just 18 months! Public services have been improved with more money available for human services and an additional police officer being hired. At the same time, local taxes have been reduced so it will cost the average SeaTac resident even less than folks in other cities. This can be attributed to an actively engaged council majority and providing specific objectives for the City Manager to achieve. The city is also fortunate to have a highly skilled city manager in place to achieved these successes. One of the greatest challenges the current council will face before year’s end will be finding a replacement manager to keep delivering additional positive results.

PAM POLLOCK

1. How long have you lived in SeaTac and why did you decide to live here?
I have lived in SeaTac for 2 years. The convenience of the airport for business travel was one of the primary reasons I moved here.

2. What do you expect to gain personally from serving in a Council position?
I am not looking for any personal gain, only to serve my fellow citizen and help keep SeaTac moving in the right direction. My philosophy is about what we can do to benefit ALL of our citizens, provide opportunities and make SeaTac a great place to live and do business.

Sales, budgeting, marketing, hard work and having mentored small business helps me appreciate the small businesses operating in the city. I have a lot of experience working in large corporations and I am currently a SeaTac Planning Commissioner.

The parking situation for the Port Employees and Port visitors on the city streets and neighborhoods. Some residents can’t park in front of their own homes.

Yes and to support the citizens of the adjacent cities as well. I think we need tougher negotiations with the Port of Seattle.

Yes, traffic on Military is bad during rush hour from people trying to avoid I-5. Traffic is and has been a problem in the greater Seattle area for years and no one has come up with any viable long term solution. We must keep freight moving. The completion of SR509 should help SeaTac by giving another route around the city and easing some of the I-5 traffic.

The Port of Seattle needs to help pay for police, fire, roads and storm water. The Port of Seattle is tax exempt, yet generates millions of dollars using the SeaTac infrastructure. The tax burden for that infrastructure falls on the property owners in SeaTac. The Port needs to pay their fair share to maintain these services to better facilitate the transport the people coming in to use the airport. Tougher negotiations are needed. Past regimes making bad decisions has lost SeaTac millions in revenue.

In the City Council capacity I am working for my fellow citizens and the Mayor and no one else. My regular job employer would have no reason to ever have any interest in what happens in SeaTac and I would not be influenced by any employer period.

Our police are doing a great job but they need more revenue and more officers. I am against increasing taxes on our citizens. I would try to find a way that the Airport would fund additional police and police services. Safety and crime are big issues in SeaTac that need to be addressed and in order to do that we need more police. I am involved with Crime Stoppers and would like to see more citizen involvement to help reduce crime.

It seems to me the current city staff is very good. There have been recent changes and I think those changes have been beneficial in keeping SeaTac moving in a positive direction, moving away from the unethical issues surrounding the past regimes.

Comments

30 Responses to “SEATAC BLOG VOTERS’ GUIDE: Q&As with Council Candidates for Pos. #4”
  1. Jack Trevino says:

Shaunie is a PAID Lobbyist. I wonder whose interests she would have on the council – the people of SeaTac or the people that pay her.

2. Rivertonguy says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 33

• Jack Trevino says:

Since you have some insight into Shaunie perhaps you could explain the recent mugshot of hers that has made the rounds?

• Jo Hill says:

I’m sorry, but this newly planted young gal in our community does not have any idea what our needs are. What does her being a mother of two have to do with anything? It doesn’t sound like she has the time either since she couldn’t be bothered to answer the questions.

3. Jack Trevino says:

Let’s see if this works to show the picture.

4. Doug says:

HMMM. 2 of the 3 candidates running for this council seat found the time to reach out to the citizens of SeaTac with answers to the questionnaire. Where is Ms Wheeler or better yet what is she hiding? These are pretty straightforward questions and WE THE PEOPLE want to know about why a candidate wants our vote. I fear she is just another outsider with no knowledge of what is important to the citizens being propped up by nefarious outside interest groups.

5. chuck darielli says:

It always makes me wonder WHY if someone has such STRONG beliefs they don’t use their REAL NAME RIVERTON GUY

6. chuck darielli says:

If two kids keep her from answering 10 questions HOW DO YOU THINK SHE COULD HELP RUN A CITY?

7. chuck darielli says:

MAYBE she’s to busy in court?

8. Tom kelly says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 24

• Jack Trevino says:

Reaching much?

“On July 6, 2017, we emailed out a list of 10 Questions to all candidates running for SeaTac City Council in the Primary election”

It sounds like you are avoiding the issues of the fact that:
      1. She is a paid lobbyist
      2. What is the story behind her recent mugshot
      3. Why does she refuse to answer a few questions from this website that every single other candidate answered? Too good for this site? Doesn’t care about the people that read this?
      4. Why hasn’t she been involved with the City before? She is not on any committees and never comes to any meetings.
      5. She is new to the City so how does she understand our issues. Fact is she doesn’t.

Shaunie is by far the poorest choice of the three for city counsel.

9. chuck darielli says:

Oh yes Tom I’m more than positive Shaunie was the ONLY one NOT asked to answer the question’s by the blog.good one hahahahah

10. Ray Brickell says:

If Clyde Hill was running for the Burien city council, I’d vote for him. I’ve known Clyde for the better part of 40 years, He has always been a straight shooter and honorable guy !

11. Roger Kadeg says:

It is clear that there are two candidates for this position who have taken the time to express their views and respond to questions. Shaunie Wheeler is not one of them. I have never seen her at any council meetings, nor has she previously expressed any interest through volunteer participation in city committees. Her campaign war chest despite such invisibility clearly indicates outside influence, not local resident support. This is confirmed by PDC records. Her previously documented court interactions in several jurisdictions are also of serious concern. She does not have a clue as to the complex issues and interactions in the city’s dealings with the Port. Her portrayed image of “the poor mother raising two kids” suggests she doesn’t have the extensive time required to properly serve, either – she can’t have it both ways! Clearly, Ms. Wheeler is a front for outside political interests who are once again trying to buy this seat. They incorporate expensive, slick mailers the other candidates cannot afford, and slam the blogs in an attempt to deceive and sway uninformed voters. The last thing we need is a lobbyist or political front-person on our council. Please alert your neighbors who do not read this blog. Thank-you!

12. Joel Wachtel says:

Well said Roger! Another thing that bothers me as a candidate about Ms. Wheeler is the obvious conflict of interest between being a council member and being a permanent PDC registered lobbyist. She would be forced to recuse herself from any contract, salary, discipline, litigation or negotiation issues that arose with the firemen, police or civil service employees. Those employees represent over 50% of the city’s annual budget! It is not reasonable to assume she could properly represent the residents of the city in such a conflict. It’s obvious to see why the outside money is trying to buy her a seat on the council.

Let her show what she can do on a city committee or speaking up at council meetings to help residents. Since she only moved here in September of 2015, she needs to prove herself first.

13. Pillsbury Dough Head Boy says:

2 woman stopped by my house campaigning for Wheeler. Neither one lived in SeaTac when questioned. I showed them the mug shot mailer and issues. They down played the court cases as PDC issues. When I asked about the various counties and familiar with PDC enforcement they said it was for parking tickets. Don’t vote Wheeler if you want a poor dealer.

14. Earl Gipson says:

Pierce County takes mug shots for parking tickets? Either its overzealous policing or there is more to the story. I’m just say’in.

15. chuck darielli says:

Maybe it was a mistake could be WallaWalla or Rittzville.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 20 Thumb down 11

16. Kay says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 28

• Jack Trevino says:

Shaunie had a chance to answer this site questions but chose not to. Your ad is not needed. Shaunie is NOT those people that she says endorse her.

BOTH of her opponents are already pitching in through committees and coming to city council meetings. She has done nothing.

So, again, What is her explanation of the mugshot?
      When did she move to SeaTac?
      Who signs her checks?
      If there is a conflict between what is best for the city and what is best for her employer which is she supporting?
      How can we trust that a PAID lobbyist will put the CITY first?
      Why the loooong list of legal (criminal?) issues? Does she even still have a valid drivers license? I heard it was suspended.
      Why are 95%+ of her campaign donations all from outside of the city?
      Why are all of her paid doorbellers all from out of town?
      Is she another John Wyble puppet?
      Why does she have complaints against her with the Public Disclosure Commission?
      Why has she been so late updating her PDC information?

Heaven forbid she or any of her supporters answer any of those questions.

• Joel Wachtel says:

To the annonymous poster who may or may not be a SeaTac resident. Your comment would carry more weight if it came from a known source who was willing to be identified, but that is not the case. When a party picks people to recently move into the city just in time to qualify to run and funds them with outside money, it is a safe bet that they are not people who have invested the years it takes to know the people and the issues that are important to the city. Especially after the fact the citizens voted out the prior incumbents in a resounding mandate for a new more transparent way of doing business. The result of that vote was a balanced budget, the retirement of a $2.5 million deficit, additional investment in police and human services and the uncovering of the fact that the old council lost the city $24 million dollars in parking tax revenue by either incompetence or corruption (i will let you decide.) in just 16 months! Clearly, the current council has done everything they promised and more. So a johnny-come-lately outsider from the group that gave us the 6% utility tax we really didnt need and the liability of the K&S judgement just is not that impressive. Endorsements without experience are meaningless. A candidate needs to be able to stand on their own record and that includes everything they have done in their life, the good, the bad and the ugly. Pointing to political support without substance to back it up is meaningless.

• Roger Kadeg says:

In reply to Kay:
      An oft used tactic is for the opposing view to post anonymously. However, I will give the benefit of doubt and assume this post is not from John Wyble or staff. My remarks will stand either way. The bulk of the post is simply free campaign advertising, not original thought. And, especially with that, there are several significant problems. I will elucidate on just a couple.

To accuse the council of racism demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the position of the council, and their efforts. Had Ms. Wheeler ever bothered to attend the relevant meetings, she would have clearly understood that the City of SeaTac through the council members bent over backwards in an effort to accommodate and address the tragic situation of the residents of the Firs Mobile Home Park. A paid external community organizer, on her first week on the job, inserted herself into the situation, and organized protests by the residents giving them false hope. The statues are clear, and the city and the council simply do not have the authority or jurisdiction to do anything more. They carefully monitored the property owner and made absolutely sure that he complied with all the extant legal requirements under the existing laws. As Mayor Siefkes told them, any effective protests needed to be aimed at the state legislature in Olympia, that does have the power to change the laws (but typically not retroactively). That would be Mia Gregerson who “helped” Ms. Wheeler. Perhaps Mia is using Ms. Wheeler rather than helping her. She could have provided Ms. Wheeler with accurate information. But, that would not have served Ms. Gregerson’s desire to insert her strings back into the city government through a willing mentor. To accuse the council members of racism, given their efforts on this situation, is a grievous insult.

The accusation of racism or ethnic bias has been an effective political weapon at local, state and national elections for far too long. Its blatant misuse in most cases is a disgrace, and serves to degrade and divide the communities where it is applied. The only good from the cited campaign post is that it is abundantly clear that Ms. Wheeler (or the powers behind her campaign) is (are) more than willing to play that card, in an attempt to dupe and use uninformed voters. That, more than anything, disqualifies her from representing me on the council. I would hope readers would feel the same way. Using one’s ethnicity in an attempt to be elected is the weakest of arguments, and benefits no one. It is not the color of one’s skin that is of import, it is their policies and ability to understand complicated issues and resolve problems that counts.

As to Ms. Jayapal’s endorsement, she holds Mr. McDermott’s former seat in congress. She is to the left of his policies!! For all intents and purposes, she is essentially a socialist, holding to many of their positions. I do not think her positions fit the profile of the majority of SeaTac residents. I would be concerned of connections with Ms. Jayapal to a member on our council. Again, this appears to be an attempt to inject “racial equity” into the city election. Last time I looked, it is not the primary business at the city level to create statues related to ethnicity or race. That is typically done at the state or more typically at the national level; cities merely adopt and enforce the required statutes and regulations. It is NOT about race, it is about POLICY and a qualified set of skills! It does not appear Ms. Wheeler understands this. Again, please inform your acquaintances who do not read this blog. Thank-you!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 12

17. chuck darielli says:

Kay This REPLY is the most racismo pile of babble I’ve ever heard . Nothing pulls a community together like playing the race card. Mia did absolutely NOTHING to help the people at the firs or anywhere else in SeaTac. Yes she’s the state rep check out how she voted to help those people. Shaunie is just another tool BROUGHT HERE to run like Sally in the last election just another bobble head for the fledgling Gregerson machine. If that’s as high as she looks up her standards clearly aren’t high. At least not as her MUG SHOT

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 12

18. Kay says:

You’re assuming that I support Ms. Wheeler and that I don’t live in Seatac. You are wrong on both accounts. I was merely pointing out that if you truly wanted information, there are places to find it, even if candidates don’t provide it on this blog.
    Why not focus on you or your candidates strengths instead of pointing out weaknesses and failings in others? We all have them. Humiliating another person doesn’t make you better than them.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 18

19. Doug Hill says:

I really cannot add to the brilliantly bullet pointed repudiation by Mr Trevino of Ms. Wheeler’s candidacy. As they say, facts don’t lie and he hit all the facts. I just ask you, the voter, who, like most of us, have seen in these past two years the extraordinary resurgence in our great city, why we would want to return to the days of non transparency, no money for law enforcement, and council members who showed not respect or reverence for our tax dollars. We all got tired of being “governed from without (special interest groups) and not from within (our neighbors who care what’s best for SeaTac, not for those outside groups). The choices are clear aren’t they?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 21 Thumb down 13

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!